[Gllug] Voluntary work

Harry Mantheakis harry at mantheakis.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Nov 13 16:34:34 UTC 2003

> No, it has substandard replacements. Abiword and gnumeric are better,
> but still not good enough to replace the features of Word and Excel
> that are in everyday use in businesses. We're considering migrating
> users to a Linux desktop here, but the barriers are very high. We
> think that certain departments can get away with the Linux based
> alternatives to Word and Excel, but many can't.

Yes, that is my pre-conception, having slaved over Word and Excel for more
hours than I care to think of.

I do not know OpenOffice, but my impression is that if it even came *close*
to being a reasonable alternative to Word and Excel, companies would start
migrating in their droves.

I haven't got Linux yet, but I was playing with a Redhat installation
yesterday - with a Gnome desktop I believe - and I was really impressed with
the general design, functionality, ease of use, and speed of the thing.

It's all there, except for Word and Excel - especially Excel.

Regards

Harry

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk