[Gllug] [OT] Largest mailbox EVER!

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Tue Nov 18 20:09:32 UTC 2003

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003, Jason Clifford posited:
> On Tue, 18 Nov 2003, Ian Scott wrote:
>
>> So, someone tries to open one of these emails, and it all has to travel from
>> London to St Albans down our puny ADSL connection. Obviously this takes a
>> while. The real giggle is that this takes all the available bandwidth, so
>> there's none left for things like keyboard input, screen refresh, etc for the
>> rest of us!
>
> Why don't you implement some bandwidth management then. Limit the
> available throughput any one connection can take and limit what the
> relevant ports can use.

... by delaying returning ACKs from such connections, and so on and so
forth. (Limiting the ADSL router queue length as much as possible and
bumping outbound interactive packets in the firewall's queue up to the
queue head has a significant effect too.)

(If you have control of both sides of the connection you can do things
rather more neatly, like actually limiting the bandwidth of the inbound
hogs as Jason suggests rather than merely ACKing them slowly...)

>> Needless to say, we're in the process of beefing up our connection, and
>> making printers and keyboards and monitors have dedicated connections.
>
> Are you sure that will really help?

I'm sure it will help: after all, with a bigger connection, the amount
of time everyone is frozen out for will be *halved*.

(I prefer not to be frozen out at all...)

--
`Me, I want exploding spaceships and pulverized worlds and clashes of
 billion-year-old empires *and* competently written sentences.'

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk