[Gllug] Evesham/Linux for a small business

Doug Winter doug at pigeonhold.com
Thu Nov 6 17:08:11 UTC 2003

On Thu 06 Nov Jason Clifford wrote:
> You stated it's from the US - in that case it's meaningless here.

Well, it's not directly relevant case law, but it's not meaningless.
Judges with very similar training and very similar laws have ruled that
EULAs can be valid.

I only quote the US because of the lack of case law in this country.

> More local case law (Scots only though) decided that shrink wrap licenses
> are not enforcable.

Have you got a reference?  I'd be interested to see it.

> > So, yes, these cases are from the USA, but their Uniform Commercial Code
> > isn't that dissimilar to our common law, Sales Of Goods Act and so forth.
>
> Airline and other similar tickets are not a good example as there is
> specific legislation to allow for how conditions are (not) given out.

Personally I agree, but it wasn't me that made the ruling :)

doug.

--
6973E2CF print 2C95 66AD 1596 37D2 41FC  609F 76C0 A4EC 6973 E2CF
"Perl is worse than Python because people wanted it worse."

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk