[Gllug] Fetchmail from ISP

Jack Bertram jack at jbertram.net
Fri Nov 21 11:53:17 UTC 2003

* Bruce Richardson <itsbruce at uklinux.net> [031121 11:45]:
> On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 11:13:30AM +0000, Jack wrote:
> > fetchmail does support various kinds
> > of multidrop mailboxes (see fetchmail(1)) although clearly without the
> > envelope information from the SMTP server this doesn't always work
> > perfectly.
>
> It doesn't work at all unless the ISP's mailstore works exactly as
> fetchmail wants.  Mailstores that support multidrop add a header to each
> e-mail to show the intended recipient, like 'X-Real-To:'.  For fetchmail
> to work, the recipient has to be specified as user at domain, where
> "domain" is an acceptable local domain.  Some mail systems just put

As I understand it, fetchmail will look at the To:, Received, CC: and
 Bcc: headers to try and determine a multidrop recipient even in the
absence of a header such as you describe.  How well this works depends
on your own setup.  For example, it worked perfectly for me without any
extra headers for a long time when I had to forward three specific
users at domain.blah to their own usernames while forwarding all other
addresses at domain.blah to another user.

jack

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk