[Gllug] [OT] Largest mailbox EVER!

Jack Bertram jack at jbertram.net
Wed Nov 19 10:21:22 UTC 2003

* Andrew Halliwell <ah at gnd.com> [031119 10:18]:
> And verily, didst Alan Peery announce to the hordes:
> > Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> >
> > > HTML in email is simply a waste of bandwidth. It add _zero_ value.
> >
> > In many cases HTML formatting adds zero value.
> >
> > In others, it allows users to easily send formatted emails that are
> > compatible with the most common email tools in use.
>
> But... formatted e-mails are pointless for most situations,

Not so - things like nested bullet points and bold are extremely useful
in making short communications convey the right message. It's
frustrating on a day-to-day basis that emails sent from my work email
address get converted into plain text before going to the Internet.
(They don't internally, so it leads to all sorts of confusions.)

>  and mailing
> lists are one of the ones where it's annoying and adds no value.

Agreed.

> In fact, I know I for one just totally skip html mails cos they're such a
> pain to read in my e-mail client of choice. (elm)

Doesn't elm have the facility to dump html as plain text?  I do this in
mutt.

jack

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk