[Gllug] Voluntary work

John Hearns john.hearns at clustervision.com
Fri Nov 14 13:13:15 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-11-14 at 13:58, David Damerell wrote:

> This argument is mostly useful in academentia and extreme
> bean-counting situations, where new equipment comes out of a different
> pot to staff time, which is regarded as effectively free because you
> already paid for it.
>
> [Of course, that attitude's demented, but that doesn't mean it isn't
> there...]

And the attitude of capital equipment being paid for by charities and
foundations. But maintenance being paid for by the department.
Also staff time - leading to things like CT scanners being unavailable
at night in the NHS (as I remember. Maybe changed now)

Also, we should look at
http://slashdot.org/articles/03/11/14/0159207.shtml?tid=109&tid=123&tid=187&tid=99
Microsoft refusing to unbundle Windows Media Player.

People use Media Player, Outlook (Express), Frontpage etc. al. because
they are there. They don't have to make a choice.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk