[Gllug] load balancing ip's

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Tue Nov 4 22:47:50 UTC 2003

Dan Kolb (dankolb at ox.compsoc.net) wrote:
> >For reasons beyond my control, the domain must resolve to exactly 1 ip
> >address.  Not fussed about complex load balancing tricks, just want an easy
> >way to split the load across multiple servers.
> >
> >Can it be done with iptables? I know you can use that to NAT 1 ip -> 1 ip,
> >but can you do 1 ip -> many ip?
> >
> >What's the best/easiest solution?
>
> You can use Linux IP Virtual Servers (IPVS) to provide load balancing -
> we used it with success at ex-workplace. Be prepared for some headaches
> in setting it up, though.

Well, grab a 2.6.0-testX kernel; the IPVS stuff was merged to
mainstream. We use this for load balancing some pretty major apps, and
it works (though we're currently using a 2.4 kernel witht he IPVS
patches applied). I /am/ using 2.6 on a semi-production machine, mainly
because it has a 3.5TB partition... (exceeding the 2.4 kernel 2TB block
layer limit), so I wouldnt be too scared of 2.6 (heck, its been fine on
my laptop for age now).

Otherwise, apt-get install libapache-mod-backhand. See www.backhand.org.

HTH.

  James
--
 James Bromberger <james_AT_rcpt.to> www.james.rcpt.to
 Remainder moved to http://www.james.rcpt.to/james/sig.html

I am in London on UK mobile +44 7952 042920.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk