[Gllug] Voluntary work

Gordon Joly gordon.joly at pobox.com
Thu Nov 13 17:01:29 UTC 2003

At 14:16 +0000 2003/11/13, Bernard Peek wrote:

>Microsoft's biggest advantage is that to a large extent anyone who can manage a desktop system reasonably well can also manage a server. Not efficiently perhaps but if you throw enough processor cycles at the problem that's not important. That's why there are so many small servers running their database systems.
>
>That consistency is one of the biggest advantages and Linux isn't going to replace Windows without matching it. Webmin looks like a good starting point, but is it possible to build a desktop system with Webmin as the only management interface?
>

>--
>Bernard Peek
>London, UK. DBA, Manager, Trainer & Author. Will work for money.

Can we throw IP security into the pot? Yes, you can "switch on the firewall". Great!! Every Windoze user is now a security expert, handling servers and security....

"We switched on the firewall on all our machines".

What next? Sit back and have a beer? A pat on the back?

***

My recent experience was that I arrived with a server and two or three desktops, enjoying Blaster and many other viruses and worms, Kazaa running and who knows what else.

{I noticed that more bytes went out of the office on the ADSL line than came in....}

I grabbed the filestore and installed SuSE 8.2 and Samba 2.3.x. But I should never have changed the desktops! On that hand, Blaster disappeared:-)

Gordo

--
Linux User No. 256022///
http://pobox.com/~gordo/