[Gllug] Linux directory conventions

itsbruce at uklinux.net itsbruce at uklinux.net
Mon Nov 10 14:48:22 UTC 2003

On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 02:34:17PM +0000, Jason Clifford wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 itsbruce at uklinux.net wrote:
>
> > Undoubtedly.  There are limits to what you can do with Postfix because
> > it is relatively inflexible but a) most people's needs don't push those
> > limits and b) if you do need to go beyond what Postfix can do for you
> > then Exim or Qmail are almost certainly better bets than Sendmail.
>
> Postfix 2 exceeds sendmail in functionality terms for every metric I've
> ever needed.

Well, you just said "far better" and I think that does need qualifying.
"Functionality" is also a broad term.  Configuration is also part of
functionality and Sendmail is undeniably more configurable than Postfix.
If Postfix can't do something you want but Sendmail does, then Sendmail
is better in that context.  Of course, for most people there is no such
context.

--
Bruce

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk