[Gllug] Linux directory conventions

Harry Mantheakis harry at mantheakis.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Nov 10 11:39:20 UTC 2003

Thank you Jason.

> man 5 crontab

Yes, it's all there, albeit a little dry. I googled a bunch of tutorials,
just to add a little gravy to the man pages (if you'll pardon my analogies).

It looks like sendmail has to be added to my list...

> / partition == things essensial to booting
> /usr == none-essensials included with the distribution
> /usr/local == none-essensials added later
> /opt == non-essensial BIG packages that'd overflow most self respecting /usr
> partitions, such as KDE/Gnome/Netscape/StarOffice
>
> So, things like getty, init, bash and vi are in /bin or /sbin (root
> partition)
> Things like joe, emacs, wvdial, etc tend to be in /usr
> And, if, say, you installed leafnode from a tarball downloaded off their
> site, rather than from an rpm included with the distribution, it would be
> compiled and installed into /usr/local unless you told it different.

And thank you Andrew, too. Very concise.

Crikey, it's starting to feel like Christmas!

Kind regards

Harry Mantheakis

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk