[Gllug] Evesham/Linux for a small business

Simon Wilcox essuu at ourshack.com
Thu Nov 6 11:07:57 UTC 2003

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003, Tethys wrote:

> "Martin A. Brooks" writes:
>
> >If they say no, they're bundling. i.e. forcing you to pay for something you
> >neither need nor want when you make another purchase.  If they say yes,
> >well, you just got yourself a nice little earner on ebay :)
>
> Not legally, of course, as MS licenses are non-transferrable (we found this
> out when we bought another company, and realised we'd need to stump up for
> an additional 400 Windows licenses as well). Incidentally, the same is true
> for Cisco equipment.

Really ? I'm surprised as my, admittedly potentially incorrect,
understanding of the current licence is that it's tightly tied to the
hardware, hence the serial numbers being stuck to the machine.

As I understand it, you can't take a serial number from one machine and
use it on another. So I can't take the win2k licence from my laptop, now
running linux, and install it on another machine.

If that's correct, the sale of the PC from one company to another should
transfer the licence with it. Assuming always that we're talking about
that kind of licence here.

But then again, the EULA is written by crack addled monkeys so who knows
what's going on *shrug* :-)

Simon.

--
"We have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your
 own problem"

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk