[Gllug] 9.2 Postfix 2.0.13, Patching.....

Simon Morris simon.morris at westbourne-terrace.com
Tue Nov 25 16:19:24 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-11-25 at 13:04, Jason Clifford wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Nov 2003, Kristian Davies wrote:
>
> > http://www.wl0.org/htmlarchives/postfix-rpm-announce/200311/msg00000.html
> > ^I did a google for posfix 2.0.16 rpms, and redhat does have some, they say
> > it was compiled against Mandrake... now, im not going to... but is it a bad
> > idea to use rpms from other distros... should i always download the source
> > from the postfix themselves...(or use mandrake rpms)
>
> I always compile postfix myself as that way I am certain to get the
> specific features I want. Lots of distros don't compile in the features I
> need - or didn't when I last looked..

Whilst I agree with Jason here, it's worth mentioning that you shouldn't
really take RPMs from one distro and use them on another.

There are differences in config file locations between different RPM
based distros, and whilst it may work, in the interests of stability (of
the system and your mind) you should stick to the correct RPMs or maybe
consider building your own from source.

SM

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk