[Gllug] Forwarding mac address...

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Fri Nov 14 15:11:15 UTC 2003

On Fri 14 Nov, Andy McGarty wrote:

> > > Unfortunately, now the traffic shaper thinks ALL the traffic is coming
> from
> > > linux box as its not seeing the originating MAC address!  I thought that
> > > this was only going to happen if I used NAT/Masquerading, but if I did
> > > normal routing it would pass on the original mac address.
> > >

> > Use a bridge and the ebtables patch to turn the router into a bridging
> > firewall. That way the MACs and so on will fly past unchanged.
> >
> I did look at this during my initial investigation into the problem but it
> looked quite scary?  We have a spare box here I'll load it on and give it a
> try.

   I looked a while ago and found more than one HOWTO on bridges,
transparent bridges, transparent bridge + firewall + DSL, etc. Transparent
bridges without any IP address looked interesting for use on an ADSL
connection with restricted IP addresses, but could they pose problems while
updating their software? Perhaps add a serial connection with normal IP
address as well?

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk