[Gllug] Voluntary work

Gordon Joly gordon.joly at pobox.com
Sat Nov 15 10:41:29 UTC 2003

>>I certainly find Word harder to use than Open Office (even though I have used Word more)
>>
>>FrontPage/IIS are just plain demented
>>
>>and yet these things are still popular
>
>They are easy to use and get the job done.

Yes: and at an IETF (Internet Engineering Task Force) meeting in London in 2001 delegates walked in with laptops, joined the conference (BT built) intranet (behind the firewall, of course), did not switch off IIS since they had no idea that when they ran Front Page they spawned IIS.... and the Code Red virus ran around the LAN.

http://www.nwfusion.com/news/2001/0809ietf.html

<quot>

Code Red II infection

Even the Internet's smartest engineers can fall victim to viruses. About a dozen people at the IETF meeting were using laptops that were infected with Code Red II, according to Steve Bellovin, a member of the IETF's Internet Architecture Board and a researcher with AT&T Labs.

</quot>

Gordo.

--
Linux User No. 256022///