[Gllug] Http Auth

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Tue Nov 18 10:33:46 UTC 2003

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003, Luke Hopkins wrote:

> Sorry to be asking such a simple one, google has let me down :-(
> We have an automated posting system (HTTP POST), most sites use fairly
> standard auth (posting name/value pairs into a script), how do I post
> past htaccess? Putting the user/pass on the url isn't an option here
> (http://user:pass@www.domain.com/script.php), are there some field names
> I can use (eg http://www.domain.com/script.php?user=username&pass=pass)?
> Are there 'default' field names for htaccess under apache?

What language are you using for the script?

Most scripting languages will allow you to specify the auth username and
password to be used. You should not be entering them into the URL for HTTP
authentication.

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/	   1Mb ADSL Broadband - just £27.50 / month
                            + Free Activation on all ADSL services