[Gllug] [Fwd: Server]

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Mon Nov 24 10:26:16 UTC 2003

On Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 10:06:29AM +0000, Richard Jones wrote:
> The PowerEdges had PERC2 in them, IIRC.
>
> We actually benchmarked those controllers against Linux software RAID
> on the same machine (quad Pentium II Xeon - so that would be about 3
> or 4 years ago), and the difference was a factor of 5 or so in Linux's
> favour.

Most of the so called hardware RAID cards these days are in fact nothing
more than small microprocessors running software RAID - particularly
true of the IDE-RAID. Unless you're spending really big bucks on high
end SCSI hardware RAID, linux software RAID wins hands down. You're
also not tied to any specific vendor / hardware model either, so if your
driver controller dies you can drop in any other controller you like &
not have to rebuild your array from scratch.

Dan.
--
|=-               http://www.berrange.com/~dan/gpgkey.txt             -=|