[Gllug] [OT] Largest mailbox EVER!

Bernard Peek bap at shrdlu.com
Wed Nov 19 12:53:34 UTC 2003

In message <1069238655.1420.18.camel at obelix.lon4.fastsearch.net>, Martin
A. Brooks <martin at clues.ltd.uk> writes
>On Wed, 2003-11-19 at 10:21, Jack Bertram wrote:
>> Not so - things like nested bullet points and bold are extremely useful
>> in making short communications convey the right message.
>
>* Bullet points are easily done with just plain text.
>* It's _really_ easy to emphasise words without resorting to HTML.

Plain text and HTML both have their places and both have advantages and
disadvantages. It is possible to set out bullet points in plain text but
the layout tends to get mangled if a bullet point runs to more than one
line.

It is possible to apply a *limited* range of emphasis using ASCII but
HTML offers a wider range of much more effective methods. In the hands
of a reasonably competent typesetter those emphases can drastically
improve the effectiveness of text as a communications medium. (I have to
point out that my domain-name is an in-joke for typesetters.) In the
hands of an incompetent typesetter HTML can completely block all
communication.

I'm in two minds about this. Most of the arguments for plain text and
for HTML are pretty convincing. On balance, I'd say that people who
prefer plain-text should probably use HTML and people who prefer to use
HTML should probably be limited to plain text.

--
Bernard Peek

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk