[Gllug] Evesham/Linux for a small business

Christopher Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Nov 6 05:39:09 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 05 Nov 2003 9:23 pm, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> At 20:04 05/11/2003 +0000, you wrote:
> >However, they usually do not distinguish between hardware and software.
> >So sometimes if you want a refund you need to return the
> >computer as well, to get a refund on the whole system. (so Toshiba
> >tells me).
>
> In this case they are "bundling" the software.  They cannot reasonably say
> that they are giving you Windows XP for free.  If they were doing that
> there would be no problem selling you a system without Windows in the first
> place.
>
> There was a precedent set in the Scottish courts on this subject and Adobe
> were fined a fair amount for doing so.

The "debate" I had with Dell over this issue was quite amusing.  Upon receipt
of my new laptop, I called them up and explained that I didn't agree to the
terms of the EULA displayed at start-up.  I was told that "You have to -
otherwise the computer won't work".  I then demanded to talk to a supervisor.

I explained that I didn't want to break a good computer by infecting it with a
worthless "operating system", and that I would be happy to delete the
contents of the hard-drive and return the CDs that came with it.  The
supervisor said that I could reformat the hard drive, but that I wouldn't get
any "technical support", and that they "didn't refund for included software".

I asked for a refund for the price of the "operating system" I wasn't going to
use, and was told that it was "included free".  I asked "How many free copies
can I have, then?".  I was then told that it was "included in the price"!

I persisted in demanding a refund, and explained that the OFT was particularly
interested in "software bundling".....  After three hours on the phone, at
their expense, they agreed to refund £60 if I returned the "rescue disk" and
reformatted the hard drive.  A couple of days later, they refunded £60 to my
Credit Card.

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk