[Gllug] Familiar Linux on Ipaq 3850.

Andy Young andy.young at bbc.co.uk
Wed Nov 26 14:54:50 UTC 2003

>> Do any of you guys run Familiar (if not then I'll go away and shut
up!)?

>Yes! :-)

Sounds promising!

>> Has anyone got Mplayer compiled and working?

>Yes! :-)

Sounding better....

>> If not, any tips for a good player (I've gone for the "OPIE" GUI if
>> that's relevant)

>No! :-)

Doh!

>I don't use OPIE... I understand the OPIE media player is half decent,
but
>you have to remember that *OPIE isn't X* and is therefore not
compatible
>with anything but command-line (and curses-style) software unless
you're
>prepared to do some porting.

Now is a good time to find these things out as I'me still at the
"tinkering" stage.

>> I do a lot of video work so any video related pointers would be
great.

>I know that the older iPAQs have little-to-no video acceleration, so
they
>can struggle at video stuff.  I think some of the newer ones are better
at
>this - which device do you have?

An Ipaq 3850. I've been using MPEG4 video at 180kbps and 15FPS with some
success under Pocket PC 2002 and the Pocket MVP sotware. I've got a
problem where my MPEG4 video encoded with Mencoder on my home Redhat box
will not play back on this, so I'm really hoping the move to Linux on
the Ipaq will sort this problem out too.

Any idea whether the video is much slower / faster under Familiar
compared to Pocket PC?

Andy.

Andy Young
Design Systems Administrator