[Gllug] Binary drivers

Andrew Halliwell ah at gnd.com
Thu Nov 13 14:41:47 UTC 2003

And verily, didst John Hearns announce to the hordes:

> Following on from the talk about binary drivers yesterday,
> here's a prime case in point.
>
> I'm working with a big disk server, which has a Promise FastTrak TX2
> raid controller.
> Promise only provide an object library ftlib.o and a couple of C files.
>
> I'm trying to build a network bootable kernel so I can install and
> do intensive disk tests on this thing.
> But its impossible to build a monolithic kernel - modules only.
>
> And what's worse when I put the FastTrak.o into an initrd it won't load.
> Guess you're stuck with using the same kernel the Promise engineers
> built it with. (Maybe/maybe not, I'm still working on it, probably have
> to make a kernel with version information off).

Ahhh, this one has a solution...
The FastTrak.o is binary, yes, but, if you dig a little deeper on the
promise site, you'll find the source for that module, so you can compile it
for any distro/kernel you choose.

I think it's when you're selecting which distribution, you select "other".

Of course, chances of that compiling for a 2.6 kernel are probably slim, but
it's a start.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk