[Gllug] Newcomer

Martin A. Brooks martin at clues.ltd.uk
Mon Nov 3 16:21:02 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 16:04, Tethys wrote:
> Sigh. I can't comment about the other two, but as I've said many times
> before, RH are not, and never have been playing the big number game.
> Many years ago,

Yes, redhat says that themselves, I think one of their guys on here has
reiterated the point too.

It's spooky co-incidence therefore that three linux distros have managed
to keep their version numbers so close to each other, despite completely
independant developments and without external influence.

We currently have:

Mandrake 9.2
SuSe 9.0
Redhat 9.0

What's also interesting is just how fast the version numbers have
changed recently.  Going from Redhat 5.0 to Redhat 6.2 took, if memory
serves, the best part of 5 years.  6.2 to 9 has taken, again, if memory
serves, a little over 2.

--
Martin A. Brooks, Clues Ltd
http://www.clues.ltd.uk/