[Gllug] Forwarding mac address...

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Mon Nov 17 22:07:14 UTC 2003

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003, Doug Winter mused:
> On Sat 15 Nov Nix wrote:
>> - adsl-phys -- [host] -- tap0 -- / UML / -- adsl -- [firewall] -
>>         \                 /                                     \
>>          \---- adsl -----/                                      |
>>      -------- adsl -- / UML / -- tap2 -- / UML / -- gordianet --/
>>     /    194.247.41.52            |
>>     |                 [snort, listening on host]
>>     \--- [esperi, the *visible* firewall] -- gordianet -- / UML / --\
>>                                             (internal IP x)          |
>>                               [LAN] -- gord-phys -- [host] -- tap1 --/
>>                                            \   (internal IP y)  /
>>                                             ------ gordianet  -/
>>
>> Ah. A nice simple firewall setup. ;}
>
> Well that looks easy to debug :)

It was actually trivial: I started out with a single UML partition and
debugged that, then split the firewalling off into the separate UML
later when I was satisfied with it.

Plus UMLs are easy to hack at: if you bugger it up so badly the box
doesn't boot, just restart and try again :)

(I had *far* more problems with the bloody ADSL router; b.o.unix
passim.)

--
`Me, I want exploding spaceships and pulverized worlds and clashes of
 billion-year-old empires *and* competently written sentences.'

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk