[Gllug] re: qmail file-system syncing

Richard Cottrill richard_c at tpg.com.au
Mon Nov 10 17:35:01 UTC 2003

t.clarke wrote:

> Note: I did enclose weakness in quotes !
>
> I accept that syncing disc-writes is the most reliable way of ensuring emails
> are not lost, but my understanding is that qmail actually syncs the whole
> file-system every time rather than simply the contents of the file being
> written.

I would expect that any serious, large scale mail server (where through
put from filesystem syncs may become a problem) the mail spools and
other files would be on dedicated partitions to ensure that if other
partitions filled (like /var/log for example) the mail service (and the
user's mail) would not be affected.

That said, synchronizing the whole filesystem does seem a bit of a
kludge at first blush.

Richard

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk