[Gllug] Linux directory conventions

Harry Mantheakis harry at mantheakis.freeserve.co.uk
Sat Nov 8 16:04:15 UTC 2003

Thanks Bruce and Richard

>  http://www.pathname.com/fhs/2.2/fhs-4.9.html

That's an excellent resource, and it did the trick!

Previously, I had looked at the Linux online documents, cookbook and rute,
but this is by far the most instructive.

> It's a good place to put anything you run up yourself, like admin
> scripts or applications you compile from the original source (as opposed
> to compiling a source package into a binary package).  Your
> distribution's packaging system will leave the contents of /usr/local
> alone and it means you can keep all (or almost all) your modifications
> to one location, which makes things more manageable.

I take it something like PostgreSQL would be considered a 'source package'.
Source code that can be downloaded again if need be.

Many thanks, and kind regards

Harry Mantheakis

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk