[Gllug] Finally some mainstream coverage of EUCD

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Tue Nov 11 21:00:52 UTC 2003

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, formi at blueyonder.co.uk moaned:
>   I believe the most important hardware issue to come our way will be
>  "extra feautures" built into the the processors, Both Intel and AMD have
>  already been forced to add them.

Yes, in 1985...

... oh, you don't mean the 386? Please explain how an `extra feature'
like 32-bit registers and a proper protected mode differs from an `extra
feature' such as x86-64 or MMX or SSE or even the UltraSPARC II's
VISmode support.

I don't think there's any significant difference. All are `extra
features' and oddly enough none caused the end of the world. (Indeed,
Linux can exploit most of them --- most that are worth exploiting, that
is. SSE is quite useful, but MMX has nowhere near as much general
utility, and the number of programs that use VISmode support can be
counted on the fingers of one foot.)

--
`Me, I want exploding spaceships and pulverized worlds and clashes of
 billion-year-old empires *and* competently written sentences.'

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk