[Gllug] XP - Linux dual boot

Phil Reynolds phil at tinsleyviaduct.com
Thu Oct 2 20:45:09 UTC 2003

On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 08:27:01PM +0100, Simon Faulkner wrote:
> Building a new PC for a friend who needs XP for his work but wants to dual
> boot Linux as well (RedHat 9)
>
> Any particular best way to do this?

Install XP first, using no more than two primary partitions on the hard
disk. Leave plenty of unallocated room for Linux.

The RedHat installation will probably allow you to leave any NTFS or
VFAT partitions untouched. You should put / (or /boot at least) on a
primary partition.

lilo can easily be set up to boot Windows. Not sure about other boot
loaders. Having recently got a machine from work with XP on it but
needing Linux, I have done all this. I use Debian, but I would think
that RedHat would be at least as co-operative.

--
Phil Reynolds (new PGP key as of 01/05/2003)
 o  ____ mail: phil at tinsleyviaduct.com
|L_ \  / Web: http://www.tinsleyviaduct.com/phil/
(_)- \/  Waltham 67, Emley Moor 69, Droitwich 79, Windows 95

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk