[Gllug] What's so good about Debian?

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Fri Oct 10 08:01:37 UTC 2003

On Fri 10 Oct, Garry Heaton wrote:

> Hi Chris
>
> To save time searching for hardware info how about running Knoppix then grep
> your dmesg. Install Debian thereafter if you don't like Knoppix's software
> selection.
>
> Garry

   You are of course at liberty to do whatever you wish. I do not assume
that you have Knoppix as well as the standard Debian.
   I believe that Knoppix is based on Debian, not neccessarily identical,
and that it does not use software exclusively from Debian Stable. It is
possible that some differences may become more obvious later, perhaps when
you wish to use the standard Debian upgrade proceedures. It is equally
possible that well-tried-and-tested software from Debian Testing may have
been used which will not require upgrading as soon.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk