[Gllug] What's so good about Debian?

Ian Norton bredroll at darkspace.org.uk
Sun Oct 12 20:39:12 UTC 2003

On Sun, Oct 12, 2003 at 08:13:09PM +0100, Peter Childs wrote:
> On Sunday 12 October 2003 16:12, Ian Norton wrote:
>
> > for debian it is usually like this ..
> >
> > %> apt-get update
> > # wait a few secs
> > %> apt-get install mozilla-browser
> > # apt asks if you are sure?
> > # wait a few more (dload time etc)
> > # apt will also get the dependancies and install them
> >
> > all done,
> >

> 	I know this sounds a bit stupid but how do your know that typing
> apt-get install mozilla-browser
> 	will work and its not say
> apt-get install mozilla
> 	is there some debain directory (like rpmfind) to find package x quickly (oh
> and a package that includes program x) I know but typing apt-get install
> <some magic string> is all very well so long as you have some wonderful idea
> what <some magic string> actuall is! In cases like say freeciv you actuall
> need two pagages as a pair and one by its self is a disarster.

the apt-cache command is very useful for this :-)

apt-cache search mozilla

will return anything to do with mozilla, (pipe it through less if u like) you
can then choose the package from the list and apt-get install it, this also
gives you a nice short description of the packages etc,
usually debian has alias's that mean stuff like apt-get install mozilla will
actaully get whatever mozilla-browser, mozilla-common etc all that,

you get used to it :-)

Ian

> Peter Childs
>
> --