[Gllug] Help Needed for windows to linux migration

Garry none at none.com
Mon Oct 20 16:13:46 UTC 2003

kumara g wrote:
> Hi guys,
> I need a big help from all of you experts !!!.
>
> We have a small business network in sheffield with 12
> PC's with ISDN connection to the Internet.All PC's run
> WindowsNT.Since the Microsoft is going to cutoff the
> supportfor win95/win98 and NT we are planning to
> migrate tolinux.Also we are going to get BT broadband
> pretty soon.
>
> we want to setup a small network with our own
> Email server and a web server.Currently our web site
> is hosted by a third party company and we use ISP for
> the email server/dns.
>
> I have inastalled 2  redhat 9 servers and few linux
> desktop workstations without much problems.
>
> Can anyone please tell me how to do the following
>
> 1)what type of firewall is recommended ?
>
> 2)is it safe to run the firewall in a linux server
> with connections to both Internet and internal office
> network ?(i.e two network cards in it)
>
> 3)should i use seperate linux boxes for each mail
> server,DNS server(i dont know i need to setup this
> one),Proxy server,firewall,samba file server ? or is
> it possible for some of these to co exist?
>
> 4)how to setup a email server ? i.e i want to send and
> recive emails for all the users  .I have read of
> send mail/postfix and pop3/imap, will these be enough
> for users to send and recive email from their desktops
>
> 5)Any resources / sugesstions for above set ups ?
>
> I know these is a one hell of a long request . But can
> anyone help me, maybe just give few hints , i can
> read,study and spent lot of time.
>
> Thanks in advance........
>
> Cheers

> Want to chat instantly with your online friends?  Get the FREE Yahoo!
> Messenger http://mail.messenger.yahoo.co.uk

"Building Secure Servers with Linux" by Michael Bauer (O'Reilly) will answer
all your server questions in depth.

"Real World Linux Security" by Bob Toxen (Prentice Hall) is excellent for
security issues.

"Linux Administration Handbook" by Nemeth et al (Prentice Hall) is also a
good all-round guide.

"Linux Firewalls" by Bob Ziegler (New Riders) has more than you'll ever need
regarding firewalls.

Garry Heaton

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk