[Gllug] Sun keyboard/mouse pair

Matthew King matthew.king at monnsta.net
Sun Oct 19 15:12:05 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-15 at 22:04, Ian Northeast wrote:
> Plus if you use a keyboard and mouse on an old Sun you will also need
> either a Sun monitor or one of those special cables to connect a PC one.
> The Sun selects its console based on whether the keyboard is present and
> if it is the monitor has to be too.
>
> I find the null modem cable and minicom on the Linux desktop the best
> way to run my Suns - with the result that I do have a Sun keyboard and
> mouse sitting around Idle. Type 5 IIRC - came with an Ultra2. Matthew,
> if we havn't managed to persuade you that connecting a keyboard to such
> a machine (surely you aren't going to use it as a workstation) is a bad
> idea, you can have it for free if you can collect it from the Epsom
> area. Email me off list.

Where in Epsom?

Assuming you are happy to give the keyboard away, and I can scrounge a
lift off someone, I could pick it up this afternoon (I'm only in over in
Chessington)

Personally I don't plan to run the computer at all, it's for work and I
have no idea, nor do I care, what their intentions are.

Though no doubt I'll get a little play on it :)

Should I get my own sun (and goodness knows what I'd even use it for)
I'd probably do a null-modem (or ethernet & ssh :-) jobbie.

Cheers,
Matthew

--
o? K++ w--- O-- M V? PS+>+++ PE-- Y+>++ PGP++@ t+ 5- X- R tv b+++>++++