[Gllug] Sun keyboard/mouse pair

Doug Winter doug at pigeonhold.com
Mon Oct 20 14:10:20 UTC 2003

On Mon 20 Oct Tethys wrote:

> Doug Winter writes:
>
> >Also I never have auto-boot? to true.  Then you can get in and fix stuff
> >if it's completely borked, even to the extent of being unable to halt
> >(just get someone to power cycle it).
>
> Auto-boot is pretty much a prerequisite for a production server. But that
> aside, "just get someone to power cycle it". With modern SPARCs, you can
> do that yourself, via the serial console. LOM is a wonderful thing...

Personally I'd say the opposite - maybe desktops you'd put on auto-boot,
but why would you want a production system to auto-boot?  The only time
they reboot is when you reboot them, and then you are on the console to
control it or when you have hardware problems, in which case you
probably want to fix it.

Unless you have unix boxes that are in the habit of rebooting themselves
for no reason at all? :)

doug.

--
6973E2CF print 2C95 66AD 1596 37D2 41FC  609F 76C0 A4EC 6973 E2CF