[Gllug] BBC on Microsoft DRM in new Outlook

Alan Peery peery at io.com
Tue Oct 21 15:45:06 UTC 2003

Doug Winter wrote:

>In the US, brokers (like Morgan Stanley) are required to keep
>deal-related correspondence for 2 years.

The recent Sarbanes-Oxley act applies to ALL publically traded
companies.  It's roughly speaking a law intended to make sure future
Enrons don't happen--or at least that documents suitable for prosecution
are available.

http://i.cmpnet.com/optimize/issue/020/SarbanesOxley_Compliance.pdf

>I don't believe there are any laws requiring the preservation of general
>correspondence.

Unclear--anything pertaining to audits must be kept for five years, if
my quick scan of things is correct.   And audits can eventually cover a
lot of ground.

http://www.arma.org/news/08_06_2002.cfm

Another   quick reference:
http://www.optimizemag.com/issue/020/law.htm

This will mean huge amounts of storage.  I bet the storage vendors are
quite happy...

Alan

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk