[Gllug] Samsung Contact

Pete Ryland pdr at accucard.com
Mon Oct 6 14:28:41 UTC 2003

On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 10:02:48AM +0100, Tethys wrote:

> Alain Williams writes:
>
> >Yes: there are various (nice) web based things, but not what is wanted
> >in this instance, mixed desktop clients:
> >* Outlook at the moment
> >* Evolution replacing outlook over an extended period (not big bang)
> >Everything has to play together.
>
> That's the problem. All the main efforts at the moment seem to be aimed at
> producing a Linux groupware solution. Few seem aware that unless it plays
> well with Outlook, it's never going to get anywhere.
>
> >Server is currently MS exchange, want to chuck for OSS. Mail is the easy bit,
> >groupware server to handle shared diaries, meetings, etc is what I want.
>
> Based on Bo Thorson's talk in Edinburgh, I decided it was worth
> looking at the Kolab server here. It seems to work, but it does appear
> to be a bit bizarre in places. Maybe Pete can explain in more detail.

Indeed, it uses an "RPM-based OpenPKG software package hierarchy"[1] which
makes its own /kolab directory, containing its own rpm database (even if
using a non-rpm distro), make, binutils, gcc, apache, php, perl,
more-or-less (snapshot versions of) everything it needs, and more!  After an
extensive clean-up of the build directories and source rpms, it still chews
up over 300MB - basically to provide you with a patched sasl (for
authentication over LDAP), a patched imapd, and the kolab management web
interface.

To get it working with Outlook, you need a plugin from one of the places
listed on the kolab page[2] where you may notice the options don't appear
too enticing.

Pete

[1] http://www.openpkg.org/
[2] http://kolab.kroupware.org/kolab-plugins.html