[Gllug] Network cable splitters

Martin Norman Stevens budgester at budgester.com
Fri Oct 31 22:35:29 UTC 2003

On Sun, Oct 26, 2003 at 09:05:56AM +0000, Jason Clifford wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Oct 2003, Dylan wrote:
>
> > In my continuing home LAN bumblings, I need to run a line about 30m. I'll be
> > using the cat5 with the single cores, not the flex style, between two RJ5
> > socket boxes. Now, I need to run two lines, for two separate networks. I've
> > seen splitters, which allow one cat5 cable to carry two network connections.
> > Have any of you used anything like that? Is it reliable? Wireless is not an
> > option at the moment (I'm more keen to get a laptop first to justify it to
> > the bf.)
>
> A splitter should work well enough so long as you have good 8 strand
> cable. It may be less expensive to just run two cables though.
>
> Jason Clifford

Agreed, but while your running two lines, run four just in case, and
when you wan't to do something funky later on you've got the cable.

But then I have a load of 4 port cat 5 wall ports (Krone) that I ripped out of
an old office block.

We had about 200 of these, and have just recabled an entire school
saving ourselves about 2500 grand in wall ports.

Might have a couple of spare if your interested.

Martin Stevens.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk