[Gllug] wikis

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Thu Oct 9 13:07:26 UTC 2003

On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 12:50:26PM +0100, itsbruce at uklinux.net wrote:
> Off on a slight tangent, I'm really get pissed off by people writing
> applications that only work with one database backend when there's no
> bloody excuse.

Shurely this will all be resolved when everyone moves to the One True
Database (ie. PostgreSQL) :-?

But seriously, I did once write a significant sized application which
worked equally well against Informix and PostgreSQL, and it was a
significant amount of work. I ended up implementing a whole set of
PostgreSQL stored procedures which emulated the peculiarities of
Informix (horrible database BTW). This was using the Perl DBI which
certainly *doesn't* isolate you from details of the databases.

That's why I tend nowadays to write stuff which works against
PostgreSQL only.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones. http://www.annexia.org/ http://freshmeat.net/users/rwmj