[Gllug] Linux For Beginners

North London John northlondonjohn at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Oct 23 14:57:14 UTC 2003

On Thursday, October 23, 2003, at 10:42  am, Doug Winter wrote:

> So, I'm looking for another distro to recommend.  This is for proper
> newbies - people who are intelligent but otherwise completely clue
> free,
> and generally manualaphobic obviously.
>
> I'm happy to babysit an install with them, but after that I don't want
> to have to provide telephone support for the rest of their natural
> lives
> :)
>
> Thoughts?

Mandrake has already been recommended, but one thing to add is that it
is often given away with linux format mag. LF kind of 'defaults' to
Mandrake & similar, often distributing the relevant rpms on the cover
discs. Easy-to-read tutorials and new toys to play with every month!
Depends whether manualphobic == magazinephobic as well, and what they
want to use their computers for.

John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk