[Gllug] LUG Meet and VoIP

Steve Nicholson yahoogroups at yoursolutions.com
Fri Oct 24 10:21:04 UTC 2003

On Friday 24 October 2003 00:46, Richard Smith wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm going to put something together for you...
>
> But I'd like to know what you'd like to see? What I mean by that is that
>   is that I'd like to know what people would be interested in since VoIP
> as a subject is HUGE, even when you limit it to the capacity of Linux.
>
> So far here's what I can bring for you:
>
> A working Asterisk Setup
> Cisco 7940/7960 VoIP Phones
> Various SoftFones
> A gateway or two
> Fax Over VoIP (This is nifty and also a complete cheat :P)
>
> All of the above works off of Asterisk, which as an open source PBX I
> can give you a demo and explain what you'll need to get started and what
> you'll need to grow and some of the options you have...
>
> But all of it would generally apply to businesses...
>
> I'd like to know what you'd like get out of a VoIP Demo...

I'm very keen to find out more on a working asterisk setup, have read lots
about it. Like to know if it would be suitable for a commercial VoIP gateway/
interconnect, meaning call termination from overseas into the UK and
capabilities to handle milions of minutes (lots of calls).

I'm involved with a company that is distributing a VoIP unit for residual use
(business version available soon), plug box into broadband, plug phone in box
and start making calls. Free box to box (give one to  a friend/family/office
in another country) and very cheap box to PSTN.

They are running on Linux but they are propietory designed to run on their IP
network.  You can't buy two boxes and use them peer-to-peer you need to
supscribe to their service and connect to their sip servers.  This gives you
the call quality and access to the cheap international PSTN rates.  There is
also supposed to be a softphone to connect to their system, still in testing
I think.

I can bring a couple along to demonstrate them if people are interested?

Steve.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk