[Gllug] Mac OS9 LAN http access

Garry Heaton garry at usableit.co.uk
Tue Oct 14 14:14:33 UTC 2003

I have an old PowerMac 7100/66 running OS9 which I've just connected to my
router with an AAUI-15/10baseT adapter with a view to checking web pages
hosted on a Linux/Apache server also connected to the LAN. IPs are:

Mac        10.0.0.5/8
router     10.0.0.254/8
Mandrake   10.0.0.2/8

DNS        10.0.0.254/8

I can access the internet from the Mac via my broadband connection on the
router but entering this in IE5.1/Mac:

http://10.0.0.2/dreamsol/index.html

.... produces a connection error. This URL is accessible from the other 2
machines on the LAN.

I can PING the Mac from the Linux machine and have installed AppleTalk on
the Mac. I tried installing the netatalk-1.6.0.src.rpm from Mandrake but
'./configure' failed to produce a usable Makefile and the documentation was
hopeless.

I can't understand why the Mac can access the internet via the LAN/router
but can't connect to HTTP services running on the LAN without extra
components since I'm not attempting to share any filesystems.

Garry Heaton

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk