[Gllug] Laptops?

Henrik Morsing henrik at morsing.cc
Thu Oct 30 06:30:56 UTC 2003

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003, Rich Walker wrote:

> Henrik Morsing <henrik at morsing.cc> writes:
>
> >> The POWER4 is a full 64-bit mainframe monster.
> >
> > I don't think mainframes use the POWER processor but I've just tried to
> > find something on the Internet and can't so...
>
> I thought the sole reason for the POWER4 and 5 was the mainframe
> market. Who else installs water-cooled multi-chip-modules with 16 or 32
> CPU's on?

No, the POWER architecture was designed for IBMs midrange Unix computers,
the RS/6000 now called pSeries. POWER4 is used in p630, p650, p670 and
p690 and the POWER5 will upgrade those servers.

If a POWER CPU has been used in a mainframe POWER4 was the first but I
still have never heard of this. The mainframe is a completely different
beast.

Cheers

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk