[Gllug] Trades unions

itsbruce at uklinux.net itsbruce at uklinux.net
Tue Oct 28 11:48:30 UTC 2003

On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 11:29:16AM +0000, Jason Clifford wrote:
> Our of interest what exactly do you want from a trade union?
>
> For myself I've never seen any benefit for myself (even when I worked in
> permie jobs years ago) in union membership.

On the most basic level, unions will provide free legal advice and
support in many situations.  This can be invaluable if you find yourself
in dispute with your employers and not just in the worst scenario where
you might find yourself facing them in court or at an industrial
tribunal.  They can provide advice and someone to go along with you if
you find yourself in conflict over performance reviews, disciplinary
hearings and so on.  They can offer solutions to disputes, such as
independent supervision, that you would find difficult to put forward
on your own and that management might not accept from you personally.

So even leaving aside the group aspects of union membership and even in
places where the union itself has no direct influence with management,
it can be a very cheap form of employment insurance.

--
Bruce

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk