[Gllug] Debian

Rich Walker rw at shadow.org.uk
Tue Oct 21 19:39:02 UTC 2003

Mike Brodbelt <mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk> writes:

> On Tue, 2003-10-21 at 10:16, Jason Clifford wrote:
>> On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, Peter Childs wrote:
>

>> Going out of our way to facilitate the errors of other platforms is a
>> mistake.
>
> Hmmmm. Us cynics among the audience might argue that Gnome is exactly
> this, writ large.....

Ever since I switched back from KDE to ICEWM on my desktop and laptop,
I've been delighted with the speed and performance of the machines
(given that the laptop is a 160MB PII-266 which usually has a 50MB Emacs
session, 10 workspaces, OpenOffice and a bunch of browsers open, that
may give you some indication of the difference).

My only regular experience of GNOME now is when I try to run a copy of
Galeon on the wrong machine - since /home is nfs-exported all round the
network, gconf gets all confused and cries if you try and run galeon on
2 machines at the same time. I laugh at it and do xon <fast-box> mozilla
to keep myself entertained.

Mind you, having said that, everyone *else* round here gets a KDE
desktop. I tried to tell them to use ratpoison, but they wouldn't
listen. I'm sure that KDE has some beneficial quality - as I'm sure that
GNOME does, but I can't see what it is, given that the ORB's aren't
providing network transparency...

cheers, Rich.

rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadow.org.uk
www.shadow.org.uk/products/newhand.shtml