[Gllug] Fwd: IT Week needs your expert opinion

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Fri Oct 17 10:00:58 UTC 2003

> Doug Winter writes:
>
>>It's also not a bad idea (I wish I'd done this) to choose a subnet
>> randomly from somewhere in the 1918 address spaces, so that if you ever
>> do need to do this (merger/takeover/liquidity event), you have a decent
>> chance that your subnets don't clash.
>
> Agreed. Funny you should mention that. We're just doing exactly that,
> and fortunately, only one of our subnets has clashed (10.0.122.0/8,
> which is sufficiently obscure that it's just bad luck it clashed).
I also had a clash trying to set up a VPN between my house and my
girlfriends flat at University.  The guy who set the network up for the
four users chose 192.168.0.0/16 which conflicted with a reasonably random
IP range.   I had already changed the range once that had conflicted with
a /24 range.

I can see that it makes sense to keep it down to a level even to five or
six times as many as you may need. :-)

Kind regards
Xander

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk