[Gllug] unknown ip of netgear printer server

Jack Bertram jack at jbertram.net
Tue Oct 21 12:30:51 UTC 2003

* Ian Norton <bredroll at darkspace.org.uk> [031021 09:13]:
> Hi everyone
>
> we just recieved a netgear ps113 printer server from ebay, it kind of seems
> happy, it lights up, rx blinks when you push packets at it over a crossover or
> hub etc.
>
> however,
>
> it does seem, that either it is totally useless and infact is dead, or that its
> previous owner has set it's IP to some really obscure one.
>
> the unit has also had its identification sticker removed :-/ (some idiots in
> the world) which means we dont know the mac.
>
> any ideas for finding its ip? or its mac?

Have you seen the manual at ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/netgear1/ps100_installref.pdf

If no static IP has been configured, then the print server would look
for an IP at startup - you've tried tcpdump and say that this isn't
happening.

This suggests that a static IP has been configured.  Do you have a
Windows PC you could attach it to?  Chapter 7 suggests that a Windows PC
will automatically detect it through NetBEUI or IPX - you can then reset
it to get its IP from DHCP or whatever and then connect it back to your
Linux machines.

jack

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk