[Gllug] Debian

itsbruce at uklinux.net itsbruce at uklinux.net
Mon Oct 20 12:36:59 UTC 2003

On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 02:16:03PM +0200, John Hearns wrote:
> Why do I keep expecting Phil Hands to burst in,
> dressed as a cardinal?
>
> "Nobody expects Debian!"
> "Three of our chief weapons are fear, surprise, ruthless packaging rules
> and an almost fanatical devotion to the GPL."

Although, to spoil the joke, the Debian and GNU projects are not always
on the best of terms, despite Debian carefully calling itself
"GNU/Linux".  RMS has attacked Debian for having a non-free section at
all, while the Debian community has objected to the new GNU
documentation license because it can be used to impose restrictions that
make it non-free by Debian standards
(http://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines).

In short, RMS is increasingly pursuing the idea that proprietary
software is an evil and that people should be made to stop using it (to
be fair, this has always been his belief, he's just pushing it harder).
The Debian project stops some way short of that, with the idea that Free
Software is an ideal and a choice.

--
Bruce

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk