[Gllug] Oracle and Linux

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Sat Oct 25 10:33:05 UTC 2003

Chris Bell (chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk) wrote:
> Hello,
>    I have been asked about using Oracle with Linux, does anyone have any
> feedback? (I am using Debian, but it is a general question from someone who
> knows M$, and has heard about, but has not yet tried Linux).

I did this as an exercise back in December. Debian/unstable && Oracle
9i. Get the right libraries behind it, and it all worked. Took about a
day to figure out. I then presented this Pentium III 1GHz or so box to
our Oracle DBA team, who said they were impressed with the speed of it
(rivaling the Sun E10K's we had).

But, as someone else points out, if you're paying for Oracle, you
probably also want their support, and back at that time they didn't
support use on Debian, just RedHat.

 James
--
 James Bromberger <james_AT_rcpt.to> www.james.rcpt.to
 Remainder moved to http://www.james.rcpt.to/james/sig.html

I am in London on UK mobile +44 7952 042920.