[Gllug] Recording a RealAudio radio programme...

Stan stan at plato.wadham.ox.ac.uk
Thu Oct 2 18:02:56 UTC 2003

> Does anyone know how to record a RealAudio stream (or even if it's
> possible)?

Yes it's invaluable for recording bits of radio 7 to listen to later,
I just put the script below into my crontab to start at the
appropriate time.  Hopefully just a cat of the script will be enough
help.

You'll need
trplayer
vsound
oggenc

then I use this script:

cat realgrabnow.sh
plato:~% cat /home/stan/bin/realgrabnow.sh
#!/bin/sh

echo "Usage: realgrabhow.sh ShowTitle length URL"
echo "eg: realgrabnow.sh GoonShow 30 http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbc7/realplayer/dsatg2.ram"

outputdir='/home/stan/BBC'
title=$1
url=$3
programdate=$(date -d 'now' +%Y_%m_%d_%H_%M)
outputfile=$outputdir/$title\_$programdate.ogg

vsound -t -s trplayer -n -q -t $2:00 $url | sox -t au - -t wav -r 44100 - | oggenc --quiet -o $outputfile -

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk