[Gllug] Debian

will will at hellacool.co.uk
Mon Oct 20 14:19:41 UTC 2003

Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-10-20 at 12:29, Rev Simon Rumble wrote:
>
>> GUI option is really a side issue.  I want it to find hardware and
>>install appropriate drivers!  I want to have a working X installation
>>without manually choosing all the right options.  Knoppix does both
>>these things incredibly well.
>

> Debian assumes you have a clue, Redhat/Mandrake do not.

Which is better, the installer that assumes that you have a clue and is
therefore accessible to the few, or the installer that does not assume
clue, but allows you the flexilbility of the installer that does assume
you have a clue.

> If you want/need clicky GUIs to install Linux then stick with tat like
> Mandrake.

I don't need clicky GUIs, I use the Debian installer because I use Debian.

> If you need a maintainable, stable, coherant system, i.e. one
> suitable for production, then you either need to get a clue or hire
> someone who has one anyway  and a more technically orientated installer
> won't be a problem.

You seem to be confusing 'technically orientated' with 'halfway decent'.

The RedHat and Debian installers both install Linux.  So they do the
same thing.  There is nothing wrong with using a GUI tool if it makes
your job easier, and in the case of the installers, the RedHat one makes
it easier(possible sometimes) to do some things like Raid and LVM and
partitioning and probably other stuff during the install.

OK, so some people find the text version easier.  So RedHat has a text
option.

Just because a tool makes something easier doesn't mean it makes it any
less technical which is what seems to be confusing you (and some other
people).  A system installed with a GUI installer is not less technical
than one installed with a text based installer.

I read my mail in Mozilla[0].  This doesn't make me a less technical
mail reader.

Just to set the record straight, I am quite capable of using the debian
installer thank-you-very-much.

Will.

[0] Have used mutt, prefer Mozilla.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk