[Gllug] discovering dns records

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Sat Oct 25 21:07:36 UTC 2003

On Saturday 25 October 2003 21:23 pm, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-10-25 at 21:09, Dylan wrote:
> > Is there a console command like whois which will show me the dns entries
> > for a domain?
>
> What do you mean by "DNS entries"?

I mean - after setting up a dns server locally, I want to interrogate it to
make sure it is providing the correct responses. I know I could simply point
a box at it and use it, but that's not quite as simple as it sounds if the
dns is not set up properly.

> If you mean that you'd like to be able to view the entire zone file for
> a domain then you're (hopefully) out of luck.
>
> Sane DNS servers deny AXFR requests from untrusted sources.

Indeed. No, what I want to see is what is returned for a particular lookup,
like the IP of mail.server.local, etc.

Dylan

--
Sweet moderation