[Gllug] What's so good about Debian?

Peter Childs Blue.Dragon at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Oct 12 19:13:09 UTC 2003

On Sunday 12 October 2003 16:12, Ian Norton wrote:

> for debian it is usually like this ..
>
> %> apt-get update
> # wait a few secs
> %> apt-get install mozilla-browser
> # apt asks if you are sure?
> # wait a few more (dload time etc)
> # apt will also get the dependancies and install them
>
> all done,

	I know this sounds a bit stupid but how do your know that typing
apt-get install mozilla-browser
	will work and its not say
apt-get install mozilla
	is there some debain directory (like rpmfind) to find package x quickly (oh
and a package that includes program x) I know but typing apt-get install
<some magic string> is all very well so long as you have some wonderful idea
what <some magic string> actuall is! In cases like say freeciv you actuall
need two pagages as a pair and one by its self is a disarster.

Peter Childs

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk