[Gllug] unknown ip of netgear printer server

Simon Morris simon.morris at westbourne-terrace.com
Tue Oct 21 08:36:43 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-10-21 at 10:16, Ian Norton wrote:
> Hi everyone
>
> we just recieved a netgear ps113 printer server from ebay, it kind of seems
> happy, it lights up, rx blinks when you push packets at it over a crossover or
> hub etc.
>
> however,
>
> it does seem, that either it is totally useless and infact is dead, or that its
> previous owner has set it's IP to some really obscure one.
>
> the unit has also had its identification sticker removed :-/ (some idiots in
> the world) which means we dont know the mac.
>
> any ideas for finding its ip? or its mac?
>
> Ian

How about using a crossover cable onto your PC and use Ethereal or
another packet sniffer to have a look at what happens when you start the
Print server.

It should check that it's IP address is unique when the device starts
which may help you.

--
Simon Morris <simon.morris at westbourne-terrace.com>